THE PERFECT SNOW-COVERED SKI RESORT
Located in the upper ranges of the great Himalayas (Uttarakhand, Garhwal district), AULI hits the bullseye for being a perfect destination for winters. Not only filled with adventurous activities but it is situated at a height of 2800 metres, providing a heavenly view.
WHAT MAKES IT A PERFECT TOURIST SPOT?
It offers a panoramic view of the Himalayan peaks Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat and Kamat from an astonishing height that it is located at. You will be starstruck with its heavenly snow-covered slopes. It is the perfect spot for winter-loving people and winter sports enthusiasts as the Uttarakhand tourism department supports skiing and organises winter sports at Auli to encourage skiing as a sport in India. People visiting Auli should enrol for a skiing course of 7 days or 14 days held under the guidance of professionals.
WHY SHOULD YOU VISIT AULI?
Adventure skiers and biking lovers will form a soft spot for this place as it offers mountain biking trails. Some definite visits to this place are Chattrakund, Artificial lake of Auli, Chenab lake, Badrinath, Tapovan etc.
It is an ideal hill station to celebrate your Christmas and New year.
The hill station of Auli was inhabited by Bhotiya tribes who were semi-nomads and used it as a hub to perform their trade and business activities. They used to trade with the neighbouring country of Tibet which is now a part of China. The name Auli means ‘Bugyal’ which translates to meadows in the local language.
ADVENTURE SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES TO DO IN AULI
- CABLE CAR RIDE AND ROPEWAY: To enjoy an amazing view of Auli you must experience it from a ropeway. If you plan on skiing you will take a cable car connected to this ski resort.
- SKIING: Since it is a ski resort, skiing is the most common activity tourists indulge in Auli.
- TREKKING: Trekking is another option for tourists who want to indulge in camping at green pastures and valleys. A few of the tracks at Auli are Gorson to Tali which is about 6 kilometres, Auli to Gorson which is about 7 km and Khulara to Tapovan which is about 9 kilometres.
- HELICOPTER FOR HIMALAYA DARSHAN: You can take a tour of the Himalayas while flying in a helicopter. The tourism department of Uttarakhand has made sure to give its tourists a view of a lifetime
Besides this, you can explore Auli and its local villages in wooden huts. You can spend some peaceful and quality time at one of the highest artificial lakes in the world, Auli artificial lake.
- You can travel to Auli from Delhi but there is no direct public transport from there to reach Auli. Hence you can follow the given path from Delhi. (Keep in mind that the nearest railway station to Auli is Rishikesh railway station and the nearest airport is Jolly grant airport)
- On your travelling day, you can take buses from Delhi to reach Rishikesh. (233 km/ 6 hours) You can either take private buses from Anand Vihar or government buses from Kashmiri gate in Delhi.
- On day 1, you can take buses from Rishikesh to Auli or you can take a cab.
- It’s a total journey of 265 kilometres which will take you about 9 hours. Don’t worry the path from Rishikesh to Auli is that of scenic beauty so take all the fresh air you can while travelling.
- You are most likely to spend your second and third day at Auli experiencing and sightseeing breathtaking views. The bewitching views of the Himalayas is a sight to remember for a lifetime.
- On your 4th day, you could go back from Auli to Rishikesh to Delhi.
WHAT IS IT FAMOUS FOR?
- Auli is famous for various activities starting with its ‘Mata Murti ka Mela’ organised in Badrinath which is located nearby.
- It is also famous for its Hanuman temple which is said to have a religious history. It is said that Hanuman Ji rested here when he was getting Sanjivani. Covered with Deodar and Oak forests it provides a perfect landscape view. French and Austrian experts hosted the first South Asian winter games in Auli in the year 2011. They believe that Auli is the best ski resort in the world.
- It is a perfect family destination recommended for all groups of people including foreigners to couples to kids. It is also a perfect place for honeymooning camping and base camps. There are only limited restaurants and dhabas located in Auli but you can stay in Joshimath having proper markets which are only at a distance of 20 minutes from Auli.
- So if you are looking to spend your winters with peace, joy and happiness do visit Auli. Not only will it be a memorable experience but also a thrilling one. With its Chilly Vibes and snow-filled mountains, you will get a picturesque view of a lifetime.